Keep learning about—and taking action on—issues affecting our API Y family
The YMCA of Metropolitan Chicago is proud to celebrate Asian and Pacific Islander (API) Heritage Month this May through advocacy, staff spotlights, and youth enrichment activities. To round out the month, our staff observed a Day of Solidarity on Friday, May 28, using the above Zoom background and meaningfully engaging with issues affecting API communities.
This month and every month, we're committed to leading with cultural competency and creating safe, healing spaces for people of all identities to thrive. In this vein, we encourage you to engage with any or all of the following solidarity actions as we collectively commit to showing up for our API Y family year-round:
- Download the above Zoom background created by the YMCA’s Asian and Pacific Islander Leadership Network (APILN), and use it in your virtual meetings.
- The YMCA World Service Campaign and YMCA Madurai are raising funds to support COVID-19 relief efforts in Madurai, India. Feel free to contribute by donating to or sharing this campaign link.
- From Chinatown to Asia on Argyle in Uptown, Choose Chicago highlights a variety of local businesses and cultural institutions representing the diversity of Asia and the Pacific Islands. Support your local community by visiting these spots with your family!
- The Smithsonian’s Asian Pacific American Center curated a number of projects for their "museum without walls." Enjoy this immersive resource, and try some of the activities at home!
- AWAKENING: An Anthemic Celebration of Asian America (7 mins)
- Asian Americans, a five-part series by PBS (various videos - 54 minutes each)
- Understanding What the Term AAPI — Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders — Means (5 mins)
- AAPI Women Leaders Speak Out: We Are Not Your Flavor of the Month (8 mins)
- An Asian American and Pacific Islander Reading List (10 books to get you started)
- 6 Charts that Dismantle the Trope of Asian Americans as a Model Minority (10 mins)
- We Already Belong (26 mins)
- Happy Asian Pacific American Heritage Month with Jerry Won (23 mins)