5 ways to celebrate play leading up to Healthy Kids Day
Childhood is magical—it’s a time to discover, make friends, and play.
At the YMCA of Metropolitan Chicago, fueling healthy childhoods lies at the heart of what we do. That’s why we’re so excited to celebrate Healthy Kids Day this April!
No matter where you are in Chicagoland, here are five ways for you and the whole family to join in on the fun:
- Tune in to our Cooking Demo with Chef Eric, streaming live from the Kelly Hall YMCA! Chef Eric, with some help from the Kelly Hall YMCA’s own kid chefs, will teach audiences how to make kid-friendly breakfast items at home. This mouthwatering demonstration takes place Tuesday, April 26 from 6:30-7:30pm CT—register now on Zoom to catch it live.
- Put your basketball skills to the test at your local Y’s hardwoods at the Jr. NBA Skills Challenge. With local competitions taking place at the Indian Boundary YMCA, Irving Park YMCA, and Fry Family YMCA on Saturday, April 30, budding ballers aged 13 and younger can dribble, pass, and shoot their way toward qualifying for regional competitions and the chance to win an all-expenses-paid trip to New York City!
- Learn the basics of financial wellness with Wintrust Financial Education. It’s never too early to make smart choices and invest in your future. That’s the central message behind the in-person, age-appropriate financial literacy sessions we’re hosting for 3rd-5th graders and 6th-8th graders at several of our centers. For more information on your center’s financial wellness programming, contact your local Y.
- Participate in The Grind, an exercise for teens to reflect on the impact of digital media. Developed by the Harvard Graduate School of Education’s Project Zero, this activity gives young leaders a healthy, vulnerable, and anonymous space to reflect and “share their grind” by writing about their stressors. From there, trusted grownups like staff and parents will share their wisdom on how to “slow the grind” on post-it notes displayed at our centers.
- Visit your local Y’s Healthy Kids Day expo! To round out April, several of our centers are hosting entire days of playful, in-person programming for the entire community. From swimming races to dance parties to visits from local vendors and partner organizations, be sure to contact your local Y to see what fun they’ve got planned.
Most Healthy Kids Day events at our centers are free and open to the public, and we encourage you to invite your friends and neighbors to celebrate as well! Activities vary by location with some requiring advanced registration, so sign up for our Weekly Beat newsletter to stay updated.
We can’t wait to celebrate Healthy Kids Day with you and the whole family!
Thank you to our participating sponsors