In the YMCA sports classes, we focus on skill development and strengthening those skills throughout the duration of the sports program.
Learning character values is a key element of YMCA sports; we emphasize concepts like teamwork, leadership, and sportsmanship in an environment where everyone plays. Our YMCA character values of Caring, Honest, Respect and Responsibility are demonstrated by our coaches and instructors and modeled for our participants. Some of our programs for older youth and adults can be competitive, but we still maintain character values.
Lattof Sports are broken into three types:
- Sport Clinics –focus on basic skill development, learning the rules, playing the game, and having fun.
- Sport Leagues – participants are divided into teams and games are played.
- Sport Programs – the program are either run for 2 sessions or meets 2 times a week. One of the days focuses on skill development and the other on game play.
Youth Super Sports is broken into three stages YMCA Rookies, YMCA Winners and YMCA Champions.
- YMCA Rookies objective is to develop participants skills between the ages of 4-7 learn the basic rules, skills and tactics of the sports, using a unique games approach.
- YMCA Winners is values-based competition, designed for ages 8-16. YMCA Winners helps put winning in perspective for youth. The goal is to focus on trying your best, rather than focusing on defeating others.
- YMCA Champions is designed for our athletes between the ages of 8-16. Participants in this group are recognized for their achievements in sports. Champion athletes are taught to promote effort and teamwork by recognizing achievement in and through sport.
Check out our online registration to see what sports classes you can get involved in now!
Download our Sport and Youth programs forms
The YMCA is an organization committed to meeting the need of the community. If you have any suggestions for athletic programs or athletic partnerships, please contact Dylan Fogarty.
View all classes >>