December 03, 2015
This time of year can be very challenging to stay on track with healthy eating and discipline. First, you need to decide how you would like to approach the holidays:
1. It is a special occasion I plan to each whatever I want.
2. I will make a few changes but I still want to enjoy my favorite foods, even though they are not the best choices.
3. I plan to maintain a healthy eating plan regardless of the occasion.
Here are some tips to help your through the holidays
1. Be phuysically active every day.
2. Eat a light snack before going to holiday parties.
3. Make a plan. Think about what you will eat and what will be available.
4. Take steps to avoid recreational eating. Consciously make one plate of foods you really want, eat it slowly and enjoying every bite.
5. Reduce the fat in holiday recipes.
6. Choose your beverages wisely. Alcohol is high is calories.
7. Enjoy good friends and family. Although food can be the big part of the season, make it about the friends and family.
8. Maintain perspective, overeating one day won't make or break your eating plan. If you over indulge, put it behind you and get back to your usual healthy eating.
9. Plan activities.
10. Plan on dieting after the New Year.
11. Give gifts that are not food.
Indian Boundary YMCA is here to help you get started with your New Year. Sign up for a Free Fitness Consultation today and check out our ACTIVE8 Fitness and Weight Lost Program for 2016.
For more information contact Cheryl Green, Fitness Director 630-929-2418.