Improving swimming skills to individual highest potential and increasing awareness of safety in all aspects.
Learning how to swim is a critical skill for all. From preschoolers to adults, overcoming the fear of the water and learning to swim is a vital life skill. Important for not only ensuring personal safety, swimming contributes to overall good health and is a great way to relax while getting fit.
Parent-Child swim lessons are taught as a combined class for ages 6 to 36 months with the parent accompanying the child in the water. Skills are introduced at the child’s development level and build as the child progresses. Basic water skills are taught through fun songs and games.
Children Ages 3-5
- BEGINNER PIKE / PIKE (Beginner) / PIKE 2 (Beginner) / SEAHORSE (Pike with parent) Children adjust to the water and develop independent movement. Includes basic stroke and kicking skills, floating, and pool safety.
- BEGINNER EEL / EEL (Intermediate Beginner) For children who are comfortable in the water and able to swim five feet with faces in the water and no flotation device. Children are taught to float, kick, and perform progressive arm movements across the pool.
- BEGINNER RAY / RAY / STARFISH (Advanced Beginner) For children who can swim 15 feet with faces in the water and no flotation device. Reviews and improves stroke skills on front, back and side, builds endurance, teaches treading water skills.
Children Ages 6+
- BEGINNER POLLIWOG (Beginner) / POLLIWOG I (Beginner) / POLLIWOG II (Advanced) Swim placement required if you have no taken YMCA swim lesson in the last year. Beginner level for those uncomfortable or inexperienced in the water. Includes basic water skills such as gliding with face in water, floating and kicking.
- BEGINNER GUPPY / GUPPY (Advanced Beginner) Swim placement required if you have not taken YMCA swim lesson in the last year. For children able to swim 20 feet without a flotation device. Includes swimming on front, back and side and taking a breath while swimming.
- MINNOW (Intermediate) Swim Placement required if you have not taken a YMCA swim lesson in the last year. For children able to swim 25 yards on front and back, with or without a flotation device. Teaches front crawl with rotary breathing, backstroke, sidestroke, and beginning breaststroke.
- FISH/ FLYING FISH (Advanced) Swim Placement required if you have not taken a YMCA swim lesson in the last year. For children able to swim 25 yards front crawl with rotary breathing, back crawl, sidestroke and rudimentary breaststroke. Refines breast stroke, teaches butterfly, open turns and improves other strokes.
- ADULT (Ages 18+) It's never too late to learn or improve your swimming skills.